Monday, June 17, 2013

... that it's almost time for goodbyes?

It is happening.

Kaari, G, Matt and I flew down to CA this past weekend to attend my parents' and sister's farewell.  After a delightful flight, which we almost missed (what is my problem with flights???  Never go on a flight with me, I am the worst), Cait was sweet and picked us all up from the airport.  We headed out to Westwood for some dinner and settled on CPK



Then Matt headed over to Fat Sal's for a sandwich, and us girls headed over to Boba Loca for a little treat.  Little did I know that all of my wildest dreams would come true.  There is this place called Eggettes in San Francisco that has the most amazing chocolate boba drinks.  Most boba drinks are fruity, and I have never seen another place make them with chocolate.  Until now.


I was worried that these chocolate bobas wouldn't be as good as Eggettes, but they were!!!  Tears of joy, people.

And of course, my sissies never pass up a photo op:
These girls.  Queens of the Selfie.

On Saturday we all drove down to go to the temple with Cait.  But since we were driving with Kell and Jer, we had to make a quick stop first: Chik-fil-a, obviously.
So good.  Totally worth the stomach ache in the middle of the session.

Going through the temple with Cait was so so so wonderful.  It was great to go back to the temple where Matt and I were married and so awesome to have so much of my family there together!  But it is hard to see her growing up and getting ready to leave!

This pic was Matt's idea, obviously.
I will miss this girl so much!!!!!!!!!

Our obligatory trip to Mr. Noodle after the temple


Then we rushed back to Camarillo to make it to the farewell party that had been planned for our parents.  Poor Matt waited around while I ran everywhere getting various things for my mom, then ended up being the designated picture taker for my parents as they greeted people in their "reception line."  He literally stood three feet away from my parents the entire night and just waited for my mom to ask him to take a picture.  Sometimes I don't know why he does the things that he does for me and my family.  I married the sweetest man on Earth.  Seriously.

I spent the night running around and talking to tons of people from our stake.  Then the sisters and I coerced my mother's best friend Gayle into practicing the musical number ("The Olive Tree") we were singing the next day, because let's be honest, we hadn't practiced at all yet.  Luckily for us, we sounded okay.

The next day was the farewell at church, but to get the party started, my amazing sister Kell made us all a huge breakfast at her house.  The sisters did a little more practicing, then we agreed to meet at the church a little early and practice again with Gayle.  Then I got in the shower, something happened to time, I was madly scrambling to make an apricot cobbler for the after dinner, and my sisters were only a little mad at me for missing singing practice.  Oops.  The song went well anyway, and I felt so lucky to be able to share that experience with my sisters.

After church, we all went home for the after party.  Mom made dinner for everyone and much happiness ensued.  Adults talked, cousins tried to kill each other played, and my apricot cobbler was enjoyed.

Then Mom and Dad made us sing our song again for a visiting general authority, and it was their day, so we obliged.  Plus it also gave us a chance to sing for our dear sweet brother the wannabe doctor via facetime:



Love my sisters more than life itself!!!

All too soon, the weekend was over, and Matt and I got to drive back home on Monday in a brand new car!  Sort of.  My parents had one more year left on their leased Volt, and they offered to let us drive it for a year!!!  This is a little miracle, because we have currently been using Matt's parents' truck while they were gone and have not been able to save up for another car of our own thanks to a little thing I like to call law school debt (and also my own debt which FYIPSandbytheway, I FINALLY PAID OFF!!!  Yay me!).  So now we have a free car for a year and can start putting our meager saving efforts toward a trip to Japan instead!  Cause no law school debt is gonna stop me from going out to Japan to visit Matt's parents!  And we can just worry about buying a car later.  So there.

I had one night a little while ago where I had a tiny little mental breakdown over this whole half-of-my-family-will-be-on-the-other-side-of-the-world thing.  Up until this point, I think I was in denial.  When my parents first told me about their call, I was so excited for them!  I thought it was awesome!!  Then I realized that both of my sisters were bawling hysterically and maybe I should have been a little more sad?  But I wasn't, because I think that serving a mission will be SO AWESOME for them.  I know my dad will be a great President, and he wouldn't be able to do it without my mom.  My baby sister has inherited all the best parts of all of her older sisters, plus she is smarter than all of us combined, so she will be fine in Korea.  And I am so proud of all of them!  I am a little bit grateful for my sad little sobfest because when it was over, I was able to remember that everything will be fine and I don't have to worry about my parents or my baby sister.  I know this will be so great for them and I am so proud that they are willing to serve the Lord.  I know they will be great missionaries and bless the lives of countless people, including me.  I am grateful for their examples and faith, and will just have to settle for praying my heart out for the next three years.

I love my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment