Friday, February 24, 2017

... that it was time to give Thanks?

I love Thanksgiving!

It was our year to stay in Utah for Thanksgiving, so we celebrated Harrison style! And this year I was in charge of.... THE TURKEY!!!!! Our neighbors had recently moved and given us an 18 lb turkey that was in their freezer, so I called mom and offered it up for Thanksgiving Dinner! After last year's roll debacle, I was a little hesitant to volunteer for something as pivotal as the main dish, especially when I had never cooked a turkey before. But I knew we would never have any other excuse to cook a turkey that huge, and mom promised she would help me (thank goodness!) so I threw caution to the wind and went for it!

We went over to the house nice and early and let the babies play while we got the turkey in the oven



I had no idea that it is SO EASY to cook a turkey! Mom already had the oven bag, Matt was in charge of cleaning, all I had to do was direct traffic! It was great! Until Matt couldn't find the bag of turkey giblets. He pulled out the neck, but insisted that there was no bag inside the turkey. And I asked him to check and check because there is ALWAYS a bag of giblets, but he said there was nothing in there. He asked if I wanted to check myself, but I wasn't about to stick my hand in a turkey's butt, and then mom checked also and she couldn't find anything, so I just gave up. I rubbed it down with butter, mixed up a little flour and seasonings, threw it all in the oven bag and called it good!



It turned out beautiful if I do say so myself!

Dad started to carve it up and after a few cuts... we found the bag of giblets.

1) How am I supposed to know that they ALSO stuff things into the neck hole of the turkey?
2) Who even knew that there is a separate neck hole in the first place?? And why on earth doesn't it just connect to the rest of the body cavity???
3) Why do they stick the neck in the butt hole and the giblets in the neck hole?????
4) Why do they even keep gross turkey necks and giblets anyway?????? Who eats that crap?????????

ANYWAYYYYYYYY,
The turkey turned out great despite the bag of giblets that was cooked inside of it. Or at least that's what people told me. They could have just been saying that to be nice though. There were so many of us that we had to eat downstairs on the ping pong table, and everything was delicious!!! And I was happy as a clam because my plan for timing Jas' naps worked perfectly and she slept the whole time we were eating.




So all in all, I will count this Thanksgiving as a win.

But for your own sake, please never ask me to help with Thanksgiving dinner. K thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment