Friday, January 19, 2018

... that I'm finally learning about Jas' hair?

I have been meaning to ask someone who knows what they are doing give me some real tips on how to braid and care for Jas' hair. For the past 18 months. #facepalm.

There are a few teachers at Jas' daycare who have done Jas' hair or talked to me about it, and I finally set up a time to take her to one of the teacher's house so that I could watch her braid Jas' hair. And it was not as terrible an experience as I would have thought. #thankgoodnessforMoana.




With the help of Moana, toys, hairclips, and a Dum Dum that I later had to wash out of my hair, we finally had some super cute braids with only a minimal amount of tears.



While she braided, Jas' teacher gave me all kinds of tips on techniques, products, and hair care. She taught me about hair growth and change, and confirmed that Jas needed a hair cut to remove all of her damaged baby hair. When I got home, I ordered a lot of products and called Kelly to ask her if she thought I was crazy for wanting to cut her hair myself. I know Jas' hair better than anyone, and once her teacher pointed out the dead ends, I could tell exactly where it needed to be trimmed. Kell gave me a supportive "Go for it!" and that was all I needed. A week later, I took her braids out, washed her hair, and cut all the dead ends off, and it has made a WORLD of difference. With all her dead baby hair cut off, her hair is strong, healthy, and so much less tangled! She actually liked having her hair in braids, and I am less worried that her hair is getting damaged. I finally feel like I am really learning how to care for her hair and it makes me feel like a better mom.

Jas' teacher also told us that we need to protect her hair while she sleeps, so we bought her a "sleep cap."


It protects her hair from rubbing while she sleeps, keeps her braids from fraying, holds in moisture, and provides endless amounts of entertainment.


I love this baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment