Thursday, October 8, 2015

... that I don't even know how this happened?

Remember when I was the nicest wife in the world and I let Matt buy an expensive hognose snake? And then a few months after that, I was tricked into letting him buy another even more expensive one? I just can't say no to Matt. I knew full well that he had bought these snakes to breed them, and I only let him because I didn't really think that it would work. And also because I am the nicest.

Matt told me he wanted to "hibernate" the snakes for a few months, so he bought a mini fridge and stuck them in there. And I let him because I am the nicest.

Then after that, he wanted to put them together to see if they would "do the dance of love." And I let him because I am the nicest.

After a few days, he separated them again and told me that he doubted that it worked. And I consoled him and said things like, "Maybe it will work" and, "You can't make snakes fall in love," because I am the nicest.

Then a little while later, Matt said he thought that Abigail was looking pretty fat and he thought she had some eggs in her. And I didn't really believe him, but I tried to be supportive anyway, because I am the nicest.

And then this happened.



11 eggs (and one dud). ELEVEN. ELEVEN EGGS THAT EACH HAD THE POTENTIAL TO HATCH INTO A REAL SNAKE. WTF.

How did this even happen? I only let Matt put them together because I was SURE it would not work! And now I was stuck in a house with 5 adult snakes and a box of 11 eggs. THAT IS 16 TOTAL SNAKES PEOPLE. Who in their right mind has 16 snakes in their house???

Crazy people, that's who.

Matt was beyond ecstatic. Except he "didn't want to tell people quite yet, because what if they didn't hatch?" Seriously. He did eventually tell his coworkers, who were also ecstatic because they aren't the ones with a box of snake eggs at their house. They even came to the house to look at them and take pictures and put the "hatch date" on their calendars. Because they are the real crazy people, not me. Matt also decided that he was going to build a "snake rack" to put all of the new babies in once they hatched. So he spent many hours and dollars at Home Depot to build a rack big enough to house all 11 snakes, and I let him because I am the nicest.

Then one day, after months of incubating them in the aforementioned mini fridge, this happened.




It was disgusting. Matt was even more ecstatic.


All of the eggs did end up hatching, but sadly not all of them lived long after that. Three months later, only four of them are still alive. Matt thinks that the parent snakes may have been too small to start mating in the first place, and some of the snakes just wouldn't eat. But we still have four going strong, so now we have a total of nine snakes at our house.

If you never want to be my friend again, I understand.

I still love my husband. Because I am the nicest.

1 comment:

  1. Um, please don't be freaked out by my (very late...And very random) comment. I am one of Matt's old school friends 😂 and I just have to say that you are the dang coolest! Seriously. Matt is a lucky guy! I always enjoy your posts on social media and I noticed your blog link and decided to give it a look. Then I saw this and dry heaved...And laughed! You really are the nicest. Thanks for the brilliance!

    ReplyDelete