Monday, April 3, 2017

... that we went to Dallas: Day 2

 The next day, Matt went back to his conference, and I asked the shuttle driver for a new adventure. This time they took me up to a small shopping center called West Village where I grabbed some brunch at a cute little Thai place.



This Thai bananas foster French toast with coconut syrup was really amazing!  Then Jas and I wandered around for several hours of great window shopping!




I ended up riding the free trolley around Dallas for like an hour because Jas fell asleep and also I was EXHAUSTED. Eventually it took me back to Klyde Warren Park, where I planned on meeting the shuttle to pick me up again... and that's when things got a little crazy. The shuttle didn't show up, and when I called them again, they said they couldn't make it to me and I should call a cab. I tried to call Matt, but he wasn't answering. I tried to download the Uber app on my phone and then my phone just shut off and would not turn back on. I tried to go into the museum to warm up a little bit and figure out what to do next... and they had just closed. So I was stranded at the park in the cold with no phone and no way to get home. I started to panic a little, then I decided I just needed someone to help me get a cab. So I walked into a nice restaurant with my stroller, explained that my phone had died, and asked the very nice hostess if she could help me get a cab. And she called one for me right away! The cab was there in minutes and I was on my way back to the hotel. Looking back, it wasn't that scary, but at the time, I was a little frazzled haha. And I wasn't the only one... by the time I got back, Matt had seen my missed calls and was wondering if I was okay since I wasn't answering my phone anymore. After a few minutes to collect ourselves, we jumped in an Uber to the best BBQ place Yelp could suggest:




We waited a good hour I think before we could even order, and they ran out of sliced brisket and beef ribs before we got to the front. But everything else that we got was pretty good! Chopped brisket, pork ribs, sausage, mac and cheese, a super loaded sweet potato that Matt couldn't resist, and even tried some fried okra? Not too shabby!

After two days of nonstop walking around in the cold, I was pretty worn out and not feeling too hot. So we grabbed an Uber back to the hotel and crashed again. The next morning, we had some time to kill, so after we checked out of the hotel we walked across the street and had a post-anniversary breakfast celebration... at Denny's. Matt and I actually used to go to Denny's a lot when we were dating, and we hadn't been in a long time. Anyway, we had a nice breakfast before we headed to the airport. Actually, I had a nice breakfast, and Matt had a nice time on his phone learning the ways of Instagram.



The flight home was fine. Jas did NOT want to fall asleep, but she eventually gave up (thank goodness the flight attendants didn't mind me rocking her to sleep in their tiny prep space for 20 minutes) and gave us a little peace. We were all pretty exhausted, but we had a fun weekend getaway in a new place and overall had a pretty good time!

Thanks for a fun trip Dallas!

No comments:

Post a Comment